zondag 2 maart 2014

The downfall of Nangijala

Yesterday Michelle and I visited Lake Baldeney just south of Essen. A popular promenade leads along the sunny north side of the lake and in a sheltered recess in the hillside, just out view from the promenade, is the miniature bouldering crag Nangijala. Two big triangular roofs offer a surprisingly large variety of good seventh grade boulders. It is the first spot in the Ruhrtal that I started visiting last year and I spent quite a few sunny winter afternoons there with Cash and occasionally we brought along Frans, Koen or Matt. In short: I have good memories from Nangijala and I was looking forward to going back there with Michelle and the dogs.

It couldn't have been a bigger disappointment. Apparently, the walkers, inline skaters or bikers that frequent the promenade discovered the (pretty obvious) path into the recess and started using it as a public toilet. The whole place was littered with human faeces and brown stained tissues. Even on the path itself were small heaps of excrement. It was downright disgusting. Nangijala has lost its glory to human dereliction. It's a shame...

Below I've posted a video I made in Nangijala last year. Sadly it's the only way to relive the good times I had there.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten